THERE are mornings I wake up with a head full of heaviness and pull the flysheet back to reveal an outside world full of more heaviness. Today is one of those mornings. Fog fills Strath Croe. Trees drip drumbeats of moisture on a wet tent. Sounds are muffled. Clothes are cold and damp. The last thing I feel like doing is rolling out of a warm sleeping bag and pushing feet into stiff boots. But a spark glowing in the recesses of the mind tells me that above this grey and smothered world there is another world of pure sunlight and expansive skies. So I pull on the damp clothes and stiff boots and drive slowly south along Glen Shiel to the banks of Loch Cluanie, where the world is still grey and smothered. But that’s life . . . Continue reading
- BECAUSE THEY'RE THERE is about climbing mountains – nothing else. Well, actually, there are one or two other things. But it's mostly about climbing mountains. And fish and chips. And politics. And doing a bit of fell running. And wondering where the hell your life's gone – and where it might be going next. And cooking kippers in a wet tent. And people you bump into who do similar things. Actually, that last one doesn't happen very often . . .
Top Posts & Pages
- Black Gold, Tan Hill Tea
- Humber. Southeasterly Four. Moderate or Good. Rain later.
- In Between One England and Another
- Green Hurth: Where the Big Wheel Turns
- The Environment is Positively Charged
- Days Like This, No 10: Peaking on the Three Peaks
- Black Combe – On the Edge of a Circle
- Days Like These, No 9: Clearing the Mind on the Cluanie Ridge
- What Does Adventure Mean to You?
- Lindisfarne – A Pilgrim’s Progress
- Days Like This, No 8: The Five Sisters of Kintail
- Cross Fell – Fiends, Rivers, Paths and Poets
- Old Roads, a Fallen Lady, St Jude and Thoughts for the Day
- Scaud Hill and Beyond – At My Leisure
- Days Like This, No 7: On a Ridge Above Glen Shiel
TagsAntrim Brecon Beacons Cairngorms Cape Wrath Trail Cleveland Hills Cumbria general francisco franco Howgill Fells Ireland Lake District London Madeira Mining History Mournes Munros Norfolk Coast Path North York Moors outdoors Pennines Scotland Sierra Nevada Sierra Tejeda y Almijara Snowdonia Spain Tatra The Lakes The Munros The Pyrenees transportation Wales Wherryman's Way WPLongform
CAPE WRATH TRAIL
Copyright© Alen McFadzean and Because They're There, 2009-2014. Unauthorised use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Alen McFadzean and Because They're There with appropriate and specific direction to the original content